A dinosaur costume is a character suit that resembles a dinosaur. Dinosaur outfits are often known as dinosaur suits. These types of costumes are mostly used in TV series and movies. They are also used as mascots for many years, reflecting dinosaurs’ importance in art, film, and entertainment.
Moreover, to control all the motions, the operators will use two cable-pulled switches. Also, the popularity of Dinosaur suits was caused due to the success of “Walking with Dinosaurs – The Arena Spectacular.”
If you are already an experienced cosplayer or performer, you can make very lifelike motions and movements in a dinosaur suit. Also, they are used in many museums for educational purposes as well as in various theme parks. Inflatable dinosaur outfits have been used for many gags, protests, and pranks.
Table of Contents
Famous Dinosaur TV show and Movies
These suits were used in 1960s movies like “Gorgo,” which was released in 1961. In this movie T-Rex dinosaur suit was used.
Later in the 1985 film “Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend,” they used an animatronic brontosaurus costume with a radio-controlled head. The same style of the suit was also used in the 1991 TV show Dinosaurs. It was a series about dinosaur families.
Moreover, in the 1993 “Jurassic Park” film, they used dinosaur outfits for some monsters such as Deinonychus and Velociraptor. However, in modern-day films like “Jurassic World” (2015), most of this is done with the help of CGI.
Another popular dinosaur was Barney from a kid’s show called “Barney & Friends.” Many kids cosplay this anthropomorphic purple creature.
3 types of Diy Dinosaur Costume
Cardboard Dinosaur Suit
To make a cardboard suit is pretty easy. Check the list below to know what materials you need to make the suit.
- You need to have 3 cardboard boxes.
- Two small boxes you need for the head. Each small boxes will be the size of 12 inches x 9 inches x 4 inches.
- Also, it would help if you had a rectangular box for the body. This box will be about 24 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches.
- To make the scales, you need scrap cardboard as well.
- Now you can spray-paint the body and the scales in the color you like.
- For the teeth, you need white cardstock or foam craft board. Also, you can paint small cardboard pieces in white. Do whatever is easy for you.
- Lastly, use either knife or scissors to cut the cardboard and craft glue or a hot glue gun to stick the pieces.
Pink DIY Dinosaur Suit for Kids
- First, you need to take a sweatsuit/hoodie that will fit your kids. Then some coordinating material for the tail and spikes. You might need a fabric dye as well.
- You can dye the sweatsuit and the tail in pink. Also has a shirt which the kid can wear under the sweatsuit.
- From the coordinating pieces, cut out pieces in the shape of a diamond.
- Pin some of them at the center on the top.
- Now open the hoodie and lay it on the floor or flat surface. Pin the diamonds in the middle at the back. Make sure there is no gap between the two diamond pieces.
- Above the waistband of the sweatsuit, leave a space for the tail.
- Now stitch every diamond straight down from the top till the end.
- Fold it in half and match up all the points of every diamond to form a triangular spike.
- Stitch open edges of all the triangles together.
- If there is excess fabric, then cut it off, and your spike is complete.
- Now for the tail, take the fabric and some spike diamonds.
- Fold the fabric in half and cut it in a tail shape.
- Sew the spikes as you did to the hoodie and now stitch it together.
- Cut a small hole below the last spike on the hoodie.
- Place the tail through it and then stitch it together.
- You can stuff the tail with cotton then you have to stitch it again.
- You need a baseball hat, preferably if it is adjustable.
- Black and white felt. If you can, then pick stiffened felt.
- Other things you need are a marker, gun glue, scissors, and glue sticks.
- If you want to add spots on the side, then you need other color felt.
- Now all you need to do is cut the felt in the same eyes and teeth and then attach them to the hat.
Price of Different Dinosaur Costume
Inflatable Dinosaur Costume
- Halloween Inflatable Dinosaur Suit: $133.93
- Zhangxi Inflatable Dinosaur Costume: $76.02
- Arokibui Inflatable Dinosaur Suit: $211.76
- Pterodactyl Inflatable Suit: $217.03
- Saomai T-Rex Inflatable Dinosaur Suit: $57.30
- Rubie’s Adult Jurassic World Inflatable Dinosaur Suit: $165.83
Kids inflatable dinosaur costume
- Decdeal Inflatable Dinosaur costume: $49.26
- AOGU Inflatable Rider T-REX Suit: $75.93
- Rubie’s Jurassic World T-Rex Inflatable Suit: $61.13
Kids Dinosaur Costume
- Princess Paradise T-Rex Suit: $83.02
- Net Red Halloween Christmas Dinosaur: $59.96
- Stygimoloch Dinosaur 1/2 Mask: $4.98
- Velociraptor Kids 3/4 Mask: $21.99
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Indoraptor 3/4 Mask: $16.18
Baby Dinosaur Costume
- Plush Dinosaur Tails (6 pieces): $28.99
- Dinosaur Accessory Set (4 pieces): $5.97
- Jurassic World T Rex Child Mas: $21.99
Toddler Dinosaur Costume
- Triceratops Dinosaur Costume (2T-4T): $30.58
- Toddler Dinosaur Suit: $36.28
- Light Blue Pterodactyl Suit: $37.78
- Toddler Green T-Rex Suit: $31.98
- Toddler’s T-Rex Fossil Halloween Suit: $44.18
Blow Up Dinosaur Costume
- Skeleton T-Rex Suit: $74.78
- T-Rex Suit: $67.98
- Jurassic World T-Rex Suit: $79.88
Dog Dinosaur Costume
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom T-Rex Dog Suit: $14.68
- Stegosaurus Dog Suit: $48.79
- Animal Planet Triceratops Dog Suit: $9.68
Adult Dinosaur Costume
- Villain Dinosaur Adult 3/4 Mask: $20.99
- T-Rex 3/4 Mask Adult: $25.99
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Blue Velociraptor 3/4 Mask: $20.99
- Animated T-Rex Mask: $34.99
- Adult T-Rex Mask: $28.99
Womens Dinosaur Costume
- Women’s Green Dino Suit: $41.99
- Triceratops Inflatable Suit: $149.99
- Velociraptor Movable Jaw Mask for women: $16.99
- Full Latex Raptor Mask: $27.99
Dinosaur suits are fun to wear at a costume or Halloween party or events related to dinosaurs or similar creatures. They are different from the normal superhero suits. If you want people to remember your outfit, you should consider wearing a dinosaur suit at your next costume party.